This document shows how to install Cisco UCS Director (UCSD) 6.0 in VMware Environment. This document focuses on Single Node Install.
Pre-requisites: Working knowledge of VMware ESXI
Platform used for this Blog: UCS C240M3S2 with ESXI 5.5
What is Cisco UCS DIRECTOR (UCSD)?
Cisco UCS Director (UCSD) is a Datacenter Infrastructure Management tool that allows to manage and orchestrate the different Datacenter Infrastructure Layers: Virtual, Compute, Storage, and Network.
How does Cisco UCS DIRECTOR (UCSD) works?
- UCSD is a Virtual Appliance (vmware or hyper-v) that is installed in the Datacenter.
- UCSD will connect to the different infrastructure layers using valid admin accounts. UCSD is designed to Simplify, Unify, and Standardize IT
- Cisco UCS Director automates, orchestrates, and manages Cisco and third-party hardware. You can manage network components and services
- UCSD automatically get an inventory of the infrastructure and will be able to orchestrate it.
- Supports Multi-vendors and not only Cisco.
- Single acts as single Point of Control
- UCSD work on Abstraction of applications, hardware and software into programmable tasks
- Tasks used to create automated workflows
- API attached to task eliminating scripting
- Pre-validated, run immediately after creation
- Workflows are used for publishing services into service catalog. Example Hosted Server with Specific memory and CPU with all levels access
- Dynamic orchestration helps to configure the pieces of network required for building a service
Section 1: How to install UCSD on VMWARE ESXI
Step1: Download the OVA (vmware) file here.
Step2: Login into Vcenter or Host -> Choose Deploy OVF Template.
Step 3: Choose the UCSD Image (already downloaded).
Step4: Name the UCSD Server VM and Choose the datacenter you want to use.
Step5: Select Cluster and Datastore.
Step6: Choose cluster host.
Step7: Choose datastore, you want to install UCSD.
Step8: Choose Disk Format to thin Provision.
Step9: Choose the network.
Step10: Define application parameters for access the UCSD command line and Graphical User Interface.
Step11: Verify all the Parameters and check power on after deployment and click finish.
Section 2: Booting up UCS Director
- It will take about 20-30 Minutes, check the VM Console to see the progress.
- Once boot is finished you will see a screen with the login.
- Open the UCSD Url on a browser: https://ucsd ip , wait till the login screen appears
- Once you login, You will be asked to change the password (v6.0 and above only)
- Enter the new password and log again.
- Install the license: Log in into UCSD and Go to Administration Licenseation > License.
7. Choose update license.
8. Now choose the license file downloaded on the steps before.
9. Click on license key to see the status of the license.
10. Configuring DNS: You can configure on the shelladmin interface, login into the UCSD Appliance using ssh. Use the shelladmin user, the password is the one you configured during the install.
11. The shelladmin menu will appear post successful ssh login, select option 14 Configure Network Interface.
12. Follow the wizard and configure the DNS.
13. You can configure NTP and SMTP the Similar way by following the wizard.
14. Alternate Method using GUI.
a.) Choose Administration from the top Menu and Select Guided Setup.
b.) Choose Initial system configuration, set appliance preference
c.) Follow the wizard and finish the Configuration
Comments are closed.